Thursday, June 25, 2009

Tobacco, Weddings, Work, and Exercise


Chapter 10 talked about smoking. I have never smoked but I do love tobacco because I grew up on a tobacco farm. The area that I live in produces a lot of tobacco. I realize that it is unhealthy and I do not know why anyone would start smoking when it causes so many health problems. What I love is the heritage of growing tobacco. It is a very labor-intensive crop and I grew up with a strong work ethic. My ideal would be a discovery of a health benefit of tobacco so it could still be produced without people having addictions that are harmful.

Chapter 11 discusses love and marriage, which reminds me of weddings. I was a bridesmaid in two weddings this past May, last weekend I helped my mom photograph a wedding, and I will be attending four more weddings this year. Now I must say that I have never been the girl that spends hours looking for the perfect wedding dress or ring. Not when I was single and not when I was dating someone. I am currently in a relationship that I believe will continue into marriage. Attending all of these weddings has made me notice things I would or would not want for my own wedding. I truly do not want to plan out my wedding because I have not idea when it will be but it is hard not to think about it when it is all around you! The picture is from the first wedding I was in this summer.

I liked the section in Chapter 12 about the meaning of work. In my high school years I was often told that I should be a model because I was so tall. While this is a flattering comment it always made me turn up my nose. I could not see the life fulfill in walking down a runaway and smiling for a camera. Not to mention that high heels and a runway would have been a lethal combination for me! I always wanted a job that would make a difference in someone’s life in addition to being something that I enjoyed doing. When I was pursuing landscape architecture during my first two years of college I wanted to design beautiful landscapes so someone could come home from a long day at work and feel like they would on vacation. I may still incorporate my love of plants one day by pursuing certification in horticulture therapy.

Chapter 13 reinforced my understanding that I should strive to stay healthy throughout my life. My dad has struggled as a borderline diabetic and he had told me many times that it will be easier for me to stay healthy opposed to getting healthy later. In high school I played sports, which kept me in shape. In college I have been much less active. I know I need to make exercising a priority rather than letting it be one of the things that I do not have time for in my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment