Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sports and Best Friends


In chapter 6 I found the sections about sports to be very interesting. I started playing sports when I was 7 years old. In all of my experiences even through high school my coaches focused more on skill development than winning. Of coarse everybody wants to win but we were encouraged to practice hard and play our best. I don’t remember our records from any of the seasons that I played softball, basketball, or volleyball. If my coaches had been more winning oriented, then I think I would have been more tuned in to our records. I did not play softball in high school but that coach was very much concerned about winning. My friends who played often complained because they did not like the coach.

In chapter 7 the section about quality and consequences of friendships sections made me consider why my three best friends and I grew up with such a special bond. We always had a group of friends and sometimes even other best friends within that group but the four of us were different. We were involved in many different activities together. There was never a time that all four of us were together but various combinations of us rode the same buses to school, were in the same classes, attended the same church, and played on the same sports teams. Three of us attended Virginia Tech so we grew even closer. Now that we are all in different stages of our lives with school, marriage, and children, we try to spend time together. It doesn’t matter what the need is but we are all still there for each other during hard times. I am not sure why we grew the bond that we did but I am very blessed to have such wonderful friends to count on.

No comments:

Post a Comment