Thursday, June 4, 2009

Temperament, Memory, and Gender Games

When I was reading about temperament I was surprised to read that research had indicated that there was a correlation between shy preschoolers and having a narrow face. The hypothesis is that genes influence the levels of hormones that affect both facial growth and temperament. I thought this was an odd correlation to make until I realized that I have a narrow face and was a shy kid. One of my best friends was very upset when I would not play at her birthday party because I would not leave my mother’s side. This friend happens to have a rounder face. Interesting huh? In chapter four I was intrigued by the section that described autobiographical memory. I have been able to date some of my memories because they are about my grandfather who passed away when I was three years old. This was the first time I had heard the term autobiographical memory and it makes a lot of sense. Between the time of my grandfather’s death and starting preschool, I do not have any concrete memories that I know took place during that time period. This is because there were no major events for me to link to those memories. I also found the gender stereotype section in chapter five interesting. I have a brother who is three years older than myself. I can remember playing “boy” games with him but I do not remember him playing “girl” games with me. I wonder if our birth order influenced this more than gender stereotypes. I think if I had been older he would have played some “girl” games with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment